Thursday, December 23, 2010

Meating Old Friends

My childhood friend came out to visit last week, and brought me lots of memories that she's been holding for both of us.  I spent a week laughing about childhood shenanigans, I cried when we could finally mourn lost family together and I spent way too much money shopping.  Now that she's gone and I am falling back into the rhythms of my own life, I have one lingering regret.  That we didn't eat more hamburgers.

How many burgers does it take to satisfy a couple of Ohio girls?
Photo: foodnetwork.co.uk
Oh, I know.  Hamburgers are bad for you.  But it was good for me, a mother of two mysteriously vegetarian offspring, to order hamburgers with no guilt.  Sitting across from my vegetarian daughters and my foodie husband makes it far less enjoyable to order a real thick, juicy hamburger.  Preferably with cheese. And grilled onions.  It causes my poor children to turn slightly green and look away, as though I am openly picking my nose or wearing the fur of an endangered animal.

I know this affection I have for meat is wrong.  The World Watch Institute and the Watch Mom Eat Institute (OK, I made that one up) remind me that livestock emit 16 percent of harmful methane gasses. With meat, the average U.S. diner requires twice as much water per person per day than a vegetarian.  A diet high in meat can use  two to four times more land--sometimes deforested land--than a vegetarian diet.
It's just not the same.
Photo: wellsphere.com
Then there are the health concerns. Red and processed meats have been associated with an elevated risk with colorectal cancer, cholesterol, and heart disease.

 Let’s not even get into the unethical business practices of the large beef producers and distributers.*

I always wanted to be a salad person.  One who picks at her food or forgets to eat lunch entirely.  But I am a meat person who seldom misses a meal (see profile photo.)  Whether it is my upbringing, my palate or sheer stubbornness, I love my burgers. 

Are those tomatoes really necessary?
Photo: Nancy'srecipes.com
 What makes it worse is that I love food but I’m not a foodie.  My lovely husband has taken me to many elegant restaurants and despite my best intentions I end up scanning the menu for the plainest, most savory food available. For me, ordering gourmet delicacies on one of our dates is like golfing at a really nice golf course.  It’s a waste of money that leaves me unsatisfied, and a little embarrassed. Just as I prefer our local 9-hole course, I prefer the diner, with its charcoal smells, the sound of grease fans going full blast, the formica floors and the tabletop jukeboxes. 

What I eat when I need a break from burgers.
In this age of conscientious eating, meat has become my vice. Forget the heroin, after my kids move out I am sitting down with a side of beef for a three day burger bender.  The smell of pot roast and root vegetables will be thick in the air. I will carve the leftover tofu into the shape of a cow and use it as a centerpiece.  Meanwhile, I have taken the following measures as outlined by Progress Report.cancer.gov in their Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA.)  Who knows, maybe they will become permanent:

Eat meat in moderation
According to the DGA we can eat 18 oz. per week.  I was surprised at their generosity, until I realize how large most restaurant portions can be.  So, it works out to about one steak and one burger per week. Still, it’s do-able.

Order or buy the best cuts available
Ground meat that you buy in the market is usually clearly marked for cut and fat content.  Stick to single source cuts (like round or sirloin) and look for the lowest fat content possible.  Also, look for origin; cattle raised on grass produce healthier meat.

Prep properly
Try baking or broiling meat rather than frying or grilling it to avoid the use of additional fats or the potential carcinogenic effects of char.

Leave off the fatty side dishes
Sigh.

Photo: laughparty.com

These are good first steps to cutting down on the consumption of meat. As a safeguard, I have my girls and my guilt keep me in line.  Oh, I can’t wait for my friend to come back and visit again in the near future. But I guess it would be a good idea to leave those burgers in the past.

What? It could happen!
Photo: alternativeoutfitters.com
*If you want to read further about monopolies in the beef industry, unsafe food processing and other “turn me vegetarian” topics read the excellent book “Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.


No comments:

Post a Comment